Saturday, August 09, 2008

Roasted tomato garlic soup

Currently having an abundance of tomatoes, I decided to try canning some tomato soup. In searching for a recipe, I quickly found roasted tomato garlic soup and decided to give it a try.

A few problems:
  • We didn't have enough garlic to triple the recipe. However, I was able to use three bulbs, anyway, and went with that.
  • Roasting the veggies. The recipe says to fill a cookie sheet with the veggies and roast them. Fine, but I wanted far more than a cookie sheet's worth! So I did three cookie sheets (all I could fit in the oven). I used the convection option, hoping to get an even roasting, but the carrots and onions still had a hard time getting done, so I finished them off by boiling them in the broth while 13yo son and I peeled the roasted tomatoes (which was very easy, as long as they were cool enough!)
  • Again, roasting the veggies. The juices ran over in the oven, which is now a mess! Thankfully, the bottom was lined with foil, which has been replaced, but some of the mess is under the foil, too. Hopefully, I'll get this cleaned up this evening (maybe?).

The three cookie sheets made 4.5 qts., which I consider not really enough to fiddle with canning! I mean, it's not even one load!

However, I did not add the cream (I decided I'd rather do that when we warm up the soup for serving.), so technically, I suppose it's more than 4.5 qts. But like I said, I'd rather not can unless I have a canner-full (which would be 7 qts.)

We tried some for lunch today, to see if it was worth doing again and worht figuring out a way to do more at one time. It was good; Keith really liked it. 5yo, however, who normally likes embellished tomato soup and often requests it for lunch, did not like it. Not sure what his problem with it was, but he said he did not like the taste.

Some of the best tomato soup I've ever had away from home (possibly because it may have been the first that didn't require a can opener!) was at Macaroni Grill in Franklin, TN, a few years ago. It was so fresh-tasting! The waiter told us it was a secret recipe that a customer's mother had given them, with their promise that they would not share it with anyone, not even other MG's. They've never had it since, there or at other MG's, when we've eaten there. However, sometime after this, Keith's brother became a manager for MG. He said the whole story was probably a line the waiter made up! Oh, well, it was still good.

Mary Susan

1 Comments:

Blogger Courtney said...

I was so glad to come across your review of this recipe! We are bursting at the seams with tomatoes, so my mother and I were planning on making tomato soup this weekend. I'm a complete gardening/canning/freezing newbie, it's our first year. I've heard that some soups can't be frozen or they get funny. Mostly the ones that call for butter I would think. We don't have a canner, is this recipe suitable for freezing??
I look forward to browsing around your blog! Thanks so much!

Thursday, August 28, 2008 8:49:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home