Tuesday, July 22, 2008

Freezing Okra and Canning Quantities Caveat

In the previous post, Julie commented:

Could you share how you freeze okra? Our family loves it breaded and fried,
but I have never had any success freezing it so we only eat it in the summer
time. Thanks! I like reading your list because I can compare mine with you and see if I am on track with certain amounts.
First of all, let me qualify my amounts by stating that, for some reason this year, we had an incredibly disorganized pantry and, for a time, "lost" quite a few jars of green beans and of tomatoes.

Also, last summer, Keith assigned lunch prep to our now-15yo daughter, and dinner prep to our now-17yo daughter. This has been wonderful for all of us (and for their future husbands!), but it took them awhile to get used to using the resources we had on hand.

Therefore, we had more canned goods left over this year than we normally would, so we're starting with more than normal.

Now for freezing okra. We're like you on that; we haven't frozen it because it just didn't seem to work well. Then we had some that friends of ours froze last year, and it was so good, that I got the instructions from them.

Clean the okra. Blanche it 3 minutes. Slice it to desired size (we found that close to an inch was better than smaller, which didn't seem to hold up as well when we were slicing and breading it.) Toss it in flour, then buttermilk, then seasoned-to-your-taste cornmeal. Set them on cookie sheets so that they're not touching; freeze. When frozen, put in bags and place bags in freezer until you're ready to devour them!

Mary Susan

BTW, we used parchment on the cookie sheets, just to make sure the okra was easy to remove. I don't know if this was necessary, but I didn't want to risk losing any!

2 Comments:

Blogger Laura said...

I take personal offense at the following statement:

"... but it took them awhile to get used to using the resources we had on hand."

Please excuse my saying that I started cooking in the summer when the fresh produce was coming in. I took full advantage of that. Also, I have fixed more green beans this year! I believe I have used everything to the best of my abilities (and wishes) except probably the cowpeas, butter peas, and squash casserole mix in the freezers, which I can only "defend" by saying that I cannot often get into the freezers.

As to your other comment about it being wonderful for all of y'all, I completely agree! I think we've saved more money on smoked sausage than ever before in the Bradshaw household! ;) Just kidding.

Laura (aka, now-17yo daughter)

P.S. this is completely light-hearted!

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 12:14:00 PM  
Blogger TnFullQuiver said...

Mary Susan,
Thanks for the recipe!!! I need my okra to hurry up and start producing so I can try it. I really appreciate you taking the time to share it with us.
grace and peace,
julie

Thursday, July 24, 2008 6:20:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home