Monday, July 21, 2008

Put Up Thus Far

[This is primarily for my information, so I'll have a back-up of the paper copy I have, which I have a difficult time finding, even though it's in my gardening notebook in the same location it's been in since we put up our first beans a few weeks ago!]

6/25 Lazy Housewife beans / canned 7qts
7/4 kraut / canned 21 pts
7/5 Contender bush beans / canned 3 qts
7/5 Cherokee Trail of Tears beans / canned 4 qts
7/10 Maude Wall beans / canned 23 pts
7/10 Maude Wall beans / canned 28 qts
7/16 Beans (mostly Maude Wall) / canned 19 qts
7/17 Okra (breaded) / froze 3 qts
7/18 Tomatoes / canned 14 pts
7/18 Tomato sauce / canned 8 half-pints
7/18 Pickled peppers / canned 7 half-pints
7/21 Cucumber relish / canned 11 pts
7/21 Squash / froze 4 qts

At some point--July 5?--froze 2 quart-sized bags of whole basil leaves. (Experimental; found on internet; will give it a try. Would be great to have fresh-tasting basil in the middle of winter!)

Currently drying basil and feverfew.

Mary Susan

5 Comments:

Blogger TnFullQuiver said...

Mary Susan,
Could you share how you freeze okra? Our family loves it breaded and fried, but I have never had any success freezing it so we only eat it in the summer time. Thanks!
I like reading your list because I can compare mine with you and see if I am on track with certain amounts.
grace and peace,
julie

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 6:37:00 AM  
Blogger The Bradshaws said...

Hi, Julie!

Thanks for asking about the okra. Once again, my response is long, so I'll enter it as the next post.

Mary Susan

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 9:17:00 AM  
Blogger Marci said...

You are doing great!!! Our garden is just starting to produce. Nothing much so far, but pretty soon we will be in the canning mode. I love the list. How many are in your family?

Tuesday, July 22, 2008 9:48:00 AM  
Blogger Laura said...

You forgot the kraut! or does that not count?

:)
Laura

Wednesday, July 23, 2008 9:11:00 AM  
Blogger The Bradshaws said...

Marci,

We have eight, including my parents, who are here part of the week, and at another home part of the week. They don't have a garden at the other house, and use the canned goods from here--and do a great deal of the work involved in the garden and food preservation, too.

We also provide some canned goods for my sister, so that makes nine that are working from our larder, although my sister doesn't use a lot.


Laura,

Kraut is second on the list (and no, I didn't add it after you commented).

Thursday, July 24, 2008 5:17:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home