Wednesday, July 09, 2008

Maude Wall Beans

In response to Marci's comment of the previous post:

As I was composing the previous post, I did think about sending some of the seed to a few blog readers who might request them. I've also considered sending some to Seed Savers. However, I'm not sure about Mrs. Wall's family--sort of consider it their property. (My parents moved from there 28 or so years ago, and I don't know if they've kept up with her and her family or not.)

After the Wall family, I consider my parents "keepers of the beans," and would have to check with them on sending some out. I don't think they'd have a problem with it, unless our yield is low for seed this year. I'll try to remember to do that when they come home in a couple of days.

As I indicated, this year's yield will have to be considered. We're going to need more seed next year than we normally keep (I'm working toward trying to put up two-years' worth of foods that we grow. The drought of the past couple of years has made us change our thinking a bit.)

This is my father's favorite bean. He likes to leave them on the vine until the beans are really big and filled out, so that they cook up "shelly," as my parents say. The pods do not get tough on these beans when you do that. I like them that way, but I also like them young and not shelly.

Mary Susan

2 Comments:

Blogger Jane said...

You mentioned "I'm working towards trying to put up two year's worth of food that we grow"- I'm curious how do you calculate how much that is? It is hard for me to think what we'd consume in just one year of say tomatoes. Any suggestions? Thanks- Jane Boyd

Friday, July 18, 2008 3:25:00 PM  
Blogger The Bradshaws said...

Hi, Jane!

My mother has kept records through the years of what and how much we can and freeze. She then looks at what we have left from the previous year, if anything, and figures out how much she thinks we'll use in the current year. I tend to add to her figures; her estimating always seems conservative, and she's never been in a family with a dad and teenage son that eat a lot. (My father and brother never went through food like my husband and elder son do!)

So we just sort of go from there, with a vaguely educated guess, which is somewhat better than a stab in the dark.

Mary Susan

Monday, July 21, 2008 5:26:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home