Thursday, July 24, 2008

Recent Happenings

Thankfully, so that I don't focus too sharply and constantly on squash pests, we have done a couple of fun, out-of-the-normal-daily-routine things lately.

First of all, the kids and I visited my sister for a few days. She lives about 2 hours and 15 minutes away, and we try to get to her place for a few days each summer. She lives in a condo, with the pool just 30 or so feet around the corner from her back door. (We didn't get there one summer--six years ago, I think--and I've been held accountable ever since!) So anyway, we had a great time, as we always do with her, swimming and, this time, watching a lot of "I Love Lucy." The girls and I also got a trip to the Goodwill store there; it's one of the better Goodwill stores I've been to, and I always like a bargain. (Some of their merchandise was $.50 each; at that price, even if you're not sure about something, you have to get it!) And we all went to Franklin one evening. BTW, sister's birthday was two days ago; hope you had a good one!!

This past Saturday, we attended the Daniel Brantley Foundation Benefit Concert and Auction. We went to the afternoon show (probably go to the evening one next time), in anticipation of Sunday morning. Anyway, the auction was the most entertaining one I've been to, and the concert was great!! Of course, Tom Brantley and his buddies were wonderful, as always. Big Country Bluegrass was also there--saw some great clawhammer banjo playing from one of them. And the headliners--Dailey and Vincent--were incredible!!! Tom told us he's already working on getting Dailey and Vincent back. (He and Jamie Dailey played together with Doyle Lawson and Quicksilver for awhile.) The banjo player/guitar player/bass singer (the guy on the right) turned 19yo on Friday!
Guess that's about it for now.
Mary Susan

1 Comments:

Blogger Stephen said...

Wow! That is great that y'all got to see Daily and Vincent! I really enjoy their music. All their musicians are very talented.

One of my favorite songs they do is By the Mark. We started playing that one at our local jam sessions.

Thursday, July 24, 2008 10:21:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home