Monday, June 25, 2007

Smokehouse

Long time no post. Oh well, here's a little something I've really been looking forward to. A few weeks ago we undertook a nifty little project. Some friends came up for a visit and we took full advantage of the extra help and built a smokehouse. It really wasn't as taxing a project as it might have been because when we purchased a walk-in cooler last year to age our beef, we were blessed by the gift of an extra 5'x6' cooler box (sans the compressor). As we were disassembling the unit, I was wondering what we would do with it. The idea of using it for a smokehouse occurred to me and the group of friends helping us disassemble and remove it were in general enthusastic agreement that that was a pretty dandy idea. These modular units can easily be assembled in less than an hour. A twist-lock mechanism connects the four corners and four sides as well as the top.

I followed the general design guidelines in this book. Kyle and I finished putting some screening on the smoke vent that now fills the opening originally occupied by the freezer compressor and we built a little test fire to check the smoke flow. I am pleased to report that it appears to work really well.

I find it a bit interesting that Kyle's porcine pals were observing our activities from a mere 15 feet away.Ribs, bacon, country ham. Anybody else getting hungry?

Keith

7 Comments:

Blogger Tabletop Homestead said...

That is one great smokehouse.

Judy at Tabletop Homestead

Monday, June 25, 2007 10:09:00 PM  
Blogger Marci said...

What a great idea. Those poor piggies watching it all though. =)

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 8:17:00 AM  
Blogger guardian said...

Mr. Bradshaw,

How long do you have to smoke the pork?

How much will the house hold, or is it too early to tell?

Tuesday, June 26, 2007 8:36:00 PM  
Blogger The Bradshaws said...

Chris,

The smokehouse will be primarily, I think, used to cold smoke hams, bacon, cheese and the like for preservation and flavor. The temperature will be held below 80 degrees for perhaps a long day or more.
I will be trying to hot smoke (or cook) some meat in the near future, but I will need to be careful not to get it too hot (< 220° F) considering foam insulation in the walls.
The structure will hold quite a bit but I will need to build some framing to permit hanging hooks and I will also need to add shelving. So capacity is largely dependent on the configuration of the shelving and what I am attempting to smoke. Suffice it to say that I can smoke more than even you can eat in a single sitting. ;)
Keith

Wednesday, June 27, 2007 9:13:00 AM  
Blogger Julie Clark said...

:mmmmmmmmm bacon

Monday, July 02, 2007 12:24:00 AM  
Blogger Holly said...

Hello. I ran across your blog and I LOVE the To Do list function where you cross them out or have a green dot. I was wondering if you could please respond and let me know how that works. Thanks a bunch!

Tuesday, July 10, 2007 7:02:00 PM  
Blogger The Bradshaws said...

Holly,
Thanks for visiting. Actually it's nothing but a bit of HTML added to the Blogger template and therefore I have to edit the template whenever I get around to accomplishing something. Just view the page source if you want to see the HTML behind.
Keith

Wednesday, July 11, 2007 7:47:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home