Friday, June 01, 2007

Dixie Chicks (sort of), Thistle and Shamrock (sort of)

I picked up 50 more chicks yesterday at the local post office. The lady there is getting to know me, I think. She's very friendly, and if possible, checks on the birds to see if they are looking well. This shipment was strapped closed, so all she could tell me was that they sounded good.

Surprisingly, we had all the stuff we needed for the chicks on hand. The other two batches I've picked up in recent weeks required a trip "on the way" to the post office to one or two stores for supplies. Okay, not really on the way; the Post office is seven or eight miles away, I'd say, and the farm supply stores are 10 or 12 miles away in totally different directions than the Post Office. But that's okay, except that it makes the chicks wait longer. The postal clerk doesn't seem to mind the chirping, but she does cover the box to tone it down a bit.

These chicks are Freedom Rangers. We've not had these before, and are looking forward to giving them a try. They all arrived healthy, and seem to be doing well. This makes around 80 broilers for now (The first 30 or so are Cornish Cross, arrived about three weeks ago, and are out on pasture now.) I'm hoping this many will keep us supplies for awhile.

My father and mother are on "thistle brigade" again. They are furiously cutting and bagging blossoms, then cutting down the plants, many of which are taller than my mother, now. They are working in an area we have not previously addressed, and so have a big job ahead of them. The kids and I had hoped to get out today and help, but allergies had all of us out of commission for that job, except 4yo son, who hung with them all morning.

The kids and I are keeping our eyes peeled for red clover blossoms. We don't have much of that growing wild on our property, so when we find any, we pick it and bring it in to dry. This is great for teas during cold season, as explained by TNFarmgirl. After reading her post about it last year, I collected what I could find, dried it, and used it through the fall and early part of winter (until I ran out) whenever I felt a cold might be coming on. I usually have very obvious warning signs before a cold hits, so I would start drinking red clover tea when I noticed some of these signs. I'm convinced I chased off a few colds before they actually hit. If you are interested, you might check out TNFarmgirl's other posts on herbs. She has a couple more on red clover.

Have a blessed weekend!

Mary Susan

3 Comments:

Blogger The Lingo Clan said...

Lots of exciting things going on at Allelon. Let us know how the Freedom birds turn out!

I'd like to try the red clover tea sometime. I wonder, though, if I trust myself to identify it properly.

Miss you lots!

Love,
Trish

Friday, June 01, 2007 9:23:00 PM  
Blogger Marci said...

The Freedom Ranger site is down right now, but I will be interested in reading about them. How is your cow doing? We have one in milk (about 3 weeks now) and one that is bagging up.

Monday, June 04, 2007 11:14:00 AM  
Blogger The Bradshaws said...

Marci,

Thanks for asking about Clarabelle. She's doing well, and is getting very frisky. Although someone visits and works a bit with her each day, she's craving more attention, it seems, and eats it up when she gets it. She really is like a puppy, only bigger and with horns! (We don't let our 4yo son in with her alone, if at all; she's just too anxious to play!)

Mary Susan

Monday, June 04, 2007 11:45:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home