Wednesday, August 16, 2006

Lunch ideas

I've cut way back on my blog-reading time and am mainly just keeping up with friends' blogs, with an occasional foray further into blogdom by reading a few Christian agrarian blogs or a couple of prairie muffin-type blogs when I'm anxious to avoid doing something else around the house that I need to be doing (like now).

Anyway, I noticed that the Choosing Home blog has a lunch theme this week. (http://www.choosinghome.com/blog/?p=339) I'm in such a dry spell with cooking and meal prep--and not just lunch: breakfast lunch, and dinner! So I quickly clicked my way to the Choosing Home blog and have found some inspiration.

Our lunches are in line with most of those already mentioned on the blog and in the comments: sandwiches (when we have to), soups, baked potatoes (home-grown, of course), etc.

Our favorite soup is what we call refrigerator soup: clean left-over meats and veggies out of the refrigerator (the ones that are still the proper color and smell), and put them in some stock--usually beef. It's frugal, and is, surprisingly, our kids' favorite soup! It's the soup they compare all others to--even soups at restaurants don't measure up to our refrigerator soups, in their opinion (even our pickiest eater!).

We also eat nachos, which can be as simple or as elaborate as you want or as time allows; can be corn chips with cheese melted with tomatoes and green chilies or salsa; or can include ground beef, fresh tomatoes, lettuce, green onions, olives, jalapenos, sour cream, avocado or guacamole, etc., for toppings.

In the summer, we occasionally have what I call "garden goulash", served on top of biscuits. The goulash starts with bacon, then corn, onions, and peppers, and then includes tomatoes and sliced okra--all fresh-picked from the garden, if possible (except the bacon, of course!). Our 13yo daughter is an expert biscuit-maker, too; I don't even try anymore, if she's available; she makes incredibly tender, tasty biscuits.

If I get bread made in the a.m., we eat a warm loaf for lunch, with butter.

When it's time to pick corn, we usually have corn-on-the-cob for lunch. That's a favorite, but it doesn't come often.

11yo son likes to fix enchiladas for lunch. He's really my main lunch-preparer. I think it's more important to him than it is to me, and long ago, he got tired of waiting for me to get to the kitchen to fix it, so he dove in and started doing it often. He also likes tuna salad sandwiches and chicken salad sandwiches. He likes fried egg sandwiches, and occasionally fixes them for us. He really likes sandwiches. (I often eat cracker sandwiches instead of bread sandwiches; just seems better to me) Lunch is his biggest meal, actually. I see now that I'm sadly letting him down. But then, I probably wouldn't have the sandwiches he so enjoys.

There is usually some kind of fruit on the table at lunch, too. We often slice apples, spread them with peanut butter, then sprinkle golden raisins or craisins onto the peanut butter.

That's about all I can come up with right now. Of course, a few hours ago, at lunchtime, I couldn't come up with these!

Regardless, the best meals are those fresh out of the garden.

Mary Susan

1 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Mary Susan,

I love your ideas! I don't know why I haven't thought of nachos before...that would even work with my wheat free kids.

Sounds like your kids are a wonderful help. :) Gotta love that!

Saturday, August 19, 2006 10:38:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home