Friday, July 14, 2006

Thistle Patrol

My parents have a real gripe with thistles. They can't stand them. Same goes for dandelions. Noticing all the Queen Anne's lace around here lately, I asked why not have a vengeance for that, too? They had no response.

My mother said she heard that middle Tennessee had no thistles until the interstates were built, when they brought in a lot of dirt, etc., from elsewhere. Even she seems surprised at that, but she has the excuse of having grown up in the city, where thistles are somewhat less noticeable.

Last year, I did a bit (and only a bit) of research to find out uses for thistles. I figured if there were some product or use for it, Keith could quit his day-job, and we could make all kinds of inroads toward numerous farm enterprises. Yes, we had that many thistles. However, I found that the thistle we have around here is pretty nearly useless. The only thing I found was that you could (carefully!) slit the stalk and drink the liquid from it. Not very useful, but if the water situation around here doesn't change soon, you may find us sucking on thistle stalks!

We have actually made, in less than two years, some headway in getting rid of thistles. We have been told that thistles are a two-year plant--biennial, I guess--and that if you can keep the seeds from sprouting for a couple of years or so, you'll have them just about under control. (I'm not sure what they say about thistles from the roadside, neighbors, etc.) So last year, with my father's oversight, he, my mother, the four kids, and I spent quite a few hours in the most thistle-infested field known to man, cutting off thistle blossoms, placing them in garbage bags, and then lopping off the thistle plant at its base. I felt that we should somehow pull them up by the roots, but knowing we'd never finish that way, we simply chopped. It was a hot, sweaty day, but we made great inroads.

We were all doubtful of the outcome this year, but that field is a totally different place! Incredible how few thistles are there.

My father has been on self-imposed individual thistle duty this year, attacking when necessary. This, however, has not been too big of a problem, since we got rid of so many last year. They did get a little ahead of him, though, so he spent most of yesterday and is back out today attacking the dreaded thistle. Others of us would help if needed, but he seems to think he can handle it alone this year. Also, we've been putting up food, and so are not as available to help.

Isn't it strange that thistles and the like seem to thrive and do just fine in a drought?

Mary Susan

5 Comments:

Blogger Marci said...

Mary Susan, that is good to know about what you can do to get rid of them. I wonder if it is the same ones we have. There is a book about weeds I heard about in Acres USA. It tells you what your soil needs by the weeds that grow in it. I heard thistles are in the book. I want to check it out. Until then, I have at least a battle plan. Thanks.

Friday, July 14, 2006 12:54:00 PM  
Blogger Emily said...

Hi Mary Susan! Thistles always remind me of the Lord's judgment in Genesis 3:17-19 when Adam and Eve were banished from the Garden. Now, as for benefits, what about the medicinal properties? Are they different from the milk thistle which is used as a liver detoxifier? Just some thoughts! We have the same issue with brambles. My son and I spent hours one weekend in January hacking them down but because we neglected the roots, guess what we have a bumper crop of? :)

Saturday, July 15, 2006 2:25:00 PM  
Blogger Lynn Bartlett said...

We have a real problem with Canadian thistle, and a friend told me to use industrial strength apple cider vinegar to get rid of them. The problem is getting to them when it's the best time to kill them, and also since we have so many, we would probably need the vinegar by the barrelfull! Maybe we better get busy and start cutting off the heads; it's certainly a good place to start.

Saturday, July 15, 2006 10:09:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

We had a great Canadian thistle problem in Vermont and found out quite by accident that our donkeys loved them (to eat!), even to the point of digging up the roots to eat them. If you know of any donkeys to try this out on let us know if it is all donkeys or just ours that ate them. Their mouths are hard enough to not be bothered by the thistles.

Sunday, July 16, 2006 2:03:00 PM  
Blogger Hexdek16 said...

Regarding weeds, lamb's quarter, it was pernicious in growth on my property. I pulled & yanked all throughout the first year.

Come to find out, after raising up some Rohde Island Red hens this year - They Love It! Now I keep a patch of it growing by the coop, they in turn grace me with beautiful brown eggs for breakfast - TASTY!

Sunday, July 16, 2006 3:57:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home