Tuesday, June 27, 2006

More critters

We have a few additions to our critters here at Allelon Farm. First, a dog showed up about a week before Dixie died and decided to make this his home. He was quite shy (okay, downright scared) of us, but seemed to get along great with the other dogs. With food, soft voices, and gentle hands, we are quickly winning him over. He appears to be fairly young. We were trying to come up with a name for him, but everytime we called Jack, my visiting sister's dog, this stray seemed to respond. So we now have Big Jack and Jack. Big Jack, the stray, is not that big, but is quite a bit bigger than Jack. Once Jack leaves, I have a feeling Big Jack will become Jack.

Flatt and Scruggs (names inspired by the Lingos' Banjo) joined us last night. We're not cat-lovers; don't even much care for dogs that are cat-like, but the need for a cat was obvious. We have quite a mouse population around here, and have been unable to control it by anything but poison; I DO NOT LIKE THE USE OF POISONS, especially near my children, livestock, or food sources. My mother likes cats less than I like poison, I think, but she finally relented after a friend told her about her lack of mice since getting a cat. (Do I sound like a child trying to get permission!?! Sometimes it seems like that, but it's more of an effort to make home a home for us all, and that can require a great deal of diplomacy and compromise. We heard this definition for compromise some time ago: an agreement where each party is equally unhappy. Not very optimistic, but maybe not far off the mark, either.)

We have friends whose cat had 9 kittens a few weeks ago, so we claimed one as soon as we got that word from my mother. Upon considering a cat, though, I felt we needed two--like I said, large mouse population, companionship and maybe even teamwork--so three of the kids and I went last night and picked up two males and shared a round of cookies and milk with the cats' owners.

My mother has not said anything about the second cat. Hopefully, they'll prove themselves worthy and become really great mousers.

Mary Susan

4 Comments:

Blogger Lynn Bartlett said...

I hope your cats are actually males; we thought all 4 of ours were males (didn't want the population to increase), but our youngest is a female -- and pregnant! This is going to be very interesting!

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 10:02:00 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

The dog and the new kittens are really cute, and the boys are cuter (is that a word?)! We think Flatt and Scruggs is a clever combo. Our next kitten will probably be dubbed Fiddle.

Tuesday, June 27, 2006 10:18:00 PM  
Blogger Marci said...

We are not cat lovers either. We had to get cats for the same reason you did. We were dumb and got females. We learn, but it is ever so slowly some times. =) I do like their names though. Our dogs are Southern Star and Southern Belle. The male we had was Johnny Rebel. =)

The boys are adorable.

Wednesday, June 28, 2006 8:56:00 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

Nice looking dog, Mary Susan. Looks to have some golden retriever and maybe some German shepherd in there. I always hear that "mutts" make the best dogs! I'm not a cat or dog lover but we are looking at getting a yellow lab and sometime in the future, a barn cat. I'm sure we'll be needing one when the vermin discover the poultry in the barn.

Thursday, June 29, 2006 1:51:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home