Sunday, July 30, 2006

...And Still More!!

We've had more than an inch of rain since I last posted, I believe! Praise God. Things are actually beginning to turn green, and it's looking less like California in the summertime.

Despite the rain, we definitely have a smaller corn crop than hoped for--the end of one of the plantings has been totally lost to predators and the lack of rain. 11yo son built a trap from a design he found on-line, and the bait has been taken a number of times, but the sensitivity of the springing mechanism either needs to be changed, or something else is happening. (I'm somewhat suspicious of the largest of our three dogs.) Regardless, 11yo son and 13 yo daughter are considering spending some time tonight out in the garden, hoping to put a stop to our losses.

The squash has been less than hoped for, too, and it's petering out, now, as my mother says, because of the heat. 15yo daughter is not convinced it's done, though, remembering how it seemed to be a perpetually bearing vegetable last year.

Tomatoes are coming in full-force. I would like to make some tomato sauce, but this week is extremely busy, and next week and part of the next are out of the question. Besides, my father is enjoying giving them away, and that's a good thing.

We're getting a good bit of okra, too. My mother refuses to do anything about preserving okra, being disappointed with any previous efforts she's made. A friend of hers told me to bread it real good and thick, then simply freeze it. Sure would be good, and better than buying the frozen stuff at the grocery store, but at this point, I'm not ready to tackle that bit of diplomacy.

We had some of this year's kraut the other night; turned out more sour than last year's, but good.

We had hoped to can some peaches this year, after having some delicious canned Georgia peaches at the home of some Georgia friends last year. However, peaches are hard to come by this year around here, it seems. We've been told that one of the men that has a table at a nearby farmers' market will have some this Wednesday; we had some of his earlier this year, and they were very good. My mother bought them that time, and she has a hard time making herself buy in the quantity I had hoped to get. So because of that and because they were so good, we ate them all raw fairly quickly, and the man has not had them again when we've been to the market. Hopefully we'll get some this week.

Keith had to leave on a business trip this morning, and my sister is visiting, so she, the kids, and I went to one of my father's churches with him and my mother. It's a very friendly church and seems to be very close-knit (of course, a great many of the members are related!). We are always warmly welcomed there, and enjoy worshipping with them. It was good to hear Daddy in the pulpit again, too; he's a good preacher, and we should probably attend one of his churches more often. I'd really like the kids to remember him in the pulpit--a part of their Christian heritage.

Blessings to all on this Lord's day.

Mary Susan

2 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

Hi Mary Susan! So glad to hear you're getting some rain at last. I hope the trend continues. About the tomatoes: my mom would just place several tomatoes in a freezer type baggie and when she wanted sauce, she would thaw and squish them right inside the bag. You could then season as desired while cooking. Just an idea that wouldn't take long unlike canning. We love peaches, too, but haven't seen any local just yet. I like to slice and freeze them. Blueberries are everywhere though! We'll have to put in our own in the future, as well as some strawberries, since the prices are just too ridiculous. Hope you enjoy your sister's visit and that Keith has a safe trip and return home. Blessings to you!

Monday, July 31, 2006 2:54:00 PM  
Blogger Marci said...

One year, I had a friend that was coming to live in the apartment on our property. She would not be here for planting time, but would be to help with gardens and to be able to use the produce. So, I planted WAY too many Amish paste tomato plants. We had tomatoes coming out our ears. To try and keep up with them, I would wash them, cut the stem area out and puree the entire tomato, skin and all. Then I canned that. It was pretty quick and easy work. Then, when I wanted to make something I would start with that as a base. If you dehydrate some and powder them, tomato powder is a great thickener for soups or tomato juice. You can make even tomato paste with it. We had enough tomatos that I did not need to can them the next year and I was still using the last of them the next year, although I did can a bit more.

I am glad you got some rain. May the Lord continue to bless you.

Tuesday, August 01, 2006 10:36:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home