Tuesday, March 21, 2006

Asparagus, etc.

Just a quick update.

Fencing
We're still quite busy and currently in the middle of the fencing project - a little over 5000 ft. of barbed wire. Kyle and I put in a long day last Saturday and we hope to have enough fencing in place this coming Saturday to move the cattle to the newly fenced pasture. Completion of the chicken plucker has been delayed due to the urgency of the fencing.

Barn Raising
It is currently scheduled for April 17-21 and I am headed off to Cullman, Alabama in the morning to pick up the supplies we will be using - posts, metal roofing, trusses, purlins, bracing and fasteners. For the barn rasing phase of construction we hope to have a roof-only structure in place with electrical service and lighting. One of the men that will be participating in the project is heading up the electrical design for us since that part is a little outside of my comfort zone. I am looking forward to learning quite a bit about installing electrical service during this project. We plan to post updates about the barn raising along with pictures.

Garden Update
We have already harvested the first few asparagus spears. There is just no substitute for fresh asparagus. For those of you who have horrible childhood memories of canned asparagus, let me assure you this is a completely different food. You must give it another try.

Keith

4 Comments:

Blogger Christine said...

I noticed this past weekend that out of the 12 asparagus plants I planted last year, I've got 2 that survived!!! It'll be a while before I can pick from them, but I'll have some too!

How long have you had yours in the ground? Have they 'multiplied'?

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 12:20:00 PM  
Blogger Leslie said...

I have never grown asparagus, and I planted my first (10 plants) last weekend. The instructions said dig a hole a foot deep, put compost in the bottom, put in the crown, and just cover with dirt. Then as the tips emerge, continue adding dirt until the hole is filled.

Then it snowed and went to 18 degrees. I'm afraid the poor things might not survive. Maybe the snow blanket helped. We shall see.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 12:59:00 PM  
Blogger The Bradshaws said...

HH,
I believe these plants are about 5-6 years old. But we lost a some ground when we moved to the farm 2 years ago and had to transplant them. The plants have indeed spread. I'll have to check with my mother and father-in-law to see just how much. They may have dug up some of the crowns, cut them and replanted. I'll get back to you on that.

Leslie,
18 degrees is a bit cold. I know that we mulch them in pretty good for the winter. Don't give up hope yet.

Wednesday, March 22, 2006 4:21:00 PM  
Blogger TnFullQuiver said...

Keith,
I finally sat down and read back through all of your posts. Sounds like you guys are on the same time line and path that we are. Many similarities between our families. I read a post that Mary Susan wrote a while back that referred to not feeling worthy about posting. That's silly, please keep posting, it is certainly encouragement to us fellow Tennesseans to read about folks who are sharing the same dreams and who are at the same season in life. Keep the updates coming. God bless your family.
Mike

Tuesday, April 04, 2006 11:10:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home