Saturday, February 18, 2006

Let The Plucker Construction Begin

Kyle and I began construction of our Whizbang Chicken Plucker. We haven't completed the project yet, but still I can't speak highly enough of Herrick Kimball's instruction book. The clarity of the writing and the detail included are far superior to that of any other technical reference I have ever used. I can confidently say that this book is written so that anyone who wants to build a mechanical chicken plucker can - regardless of skill level.

The white barrel in the photo is a used food grade container that I purchased for $10 from a local farmer who stockpiles both plastic barrels and steel drums. The electric motor in the foreground is really a bit oversized for the plucker. I'm guessing it's a 2 HP unit and Herrick recommends a 3/4 HP motor, but the price on this one was right. I picked it up at a local dairy farm auction back in the Fall for $7. The Jersey cows were going sky-high at that particular auction and I missed out on a complete set of milking equipment that went for a little over $100. Well, so it goes.

We completed the frame in a couple of hours today. I'll post a picture of it after we get her painted up and looking pretty. I wouldn't be surprised if Kyle wanted to paint some racing stripes on it, or more likely, mount some sort of cannon, machine gun, or catapult to the side of it.

We have been mulling over what type of chicken to raise this spring/summer. Somehow the Cornish X Rocks seem a bit freaky, but I'm attracted by the short growing period and meatiness of the bird. We welcome your advice if you have any recommendations or cautionary tales.

4 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

Looks like we'll have to invest in Herrick's book as well since I don't think I fancy the hand-plucking method, especially being a beginner. Can't wait to see the finished product! P.S. Thank you for the advice on the apple trees. It was very helpful. One more question....where does one buy the root stock?

Tuesday, February 21, 2006 2:37:00 PM  
Blogger Hexdek16 said...

Brooke and I are a few years away from such a 'large scale' device such this one. I'm just remembering the "thou shall not covet" verses as I "ogle" the device and back ground bounty of well organized tools......(::drooling grin::)

We are raising our first (flock?) of chickens this year from McMurrary Hatchery. 25 Rohde Island reds and 1 "Mystery Chick" were delivered yesterday all safe & sound. Healthy looking chicks and a sharp looking breed, we think. Should be good layers and a fair meat bird, but we are 'novices' so I'll let you know how it progresses. Regards.

Ps. Thanks also Keith for the concise grafting instructions.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 3:40:00 AM  
Blogger Hexdek16 said...

Pps. Don't forget to scratch "Build Chicken Picker" off the list. :^)

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 3:42:00 AM  
Blogger The Bradshaws said...

Wildrose,
Thanks for the input. I am leaning a bit more toward the Cornnish X Rocks now. I really don't expect cleaning the plucker to be much of a chore compared to the overall task of processing the chickens. But I must say it is a great blessing to have children willing and able to tackle any assigned task ;^)
Emily,
I would check with the local nurseries in your area regarding sources for trees and recommened rootstock. I believe there are several online places that sell custom heirloom apple/rootstock combinations.
Scott,
Thanks for the reminder about my to-do list. Do they ever get shorter or only grow? I am, however, thankful that there is a to-do list and that it is growing. The organized tools you see are almost completely the work of my father-in-law. I shudder to think what it would look like without his effort.

Wednesday, February 22, 2006 9:26:00 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home