Tuesday, February 07, 2006

Worthy??

I feel that we need to post on this blog more often, but then I read some of the agrarian blogs and feel that we are haughty to think that we have any right to even try to be in a league with them: we are at such an infantile stage in our agrarian life, and have so little to write of interest or worth! And it feels like we are moving so slowly toward our dreams. And yet, here I am, writing!

We knew when we began to develop an agrarian dream that we would, indeed, have to move slowly. Everything takes money--any new enterprise requires capital. Plus, we have to live. And the need for money means the need for an income, which means Keith goes to work 5 days a week. And that slows things down, too. So much of the work that has to be done around here at this point requires Keith. We are truly blessed that he is such a jack-of-all-trades, but the speed (or lack thereof) of progress is a bit frustrating, yet unavoidable.

However, now that I think about it, it was not long ago at all when we first heard of sustainable farming and Christian agrarianism. And when I look at what we have done thus far, maybe we're not doing too badly. And truth to tell, it's the future that we're doing this for. Not necessarily our future, but our children's. I pray that they will have families that are able to work and play together all day everyday! I would love for my sons and future sons-in-law to work side-by-side with their sons and grandsons; with their entire families! To shepherd their families in all of life's situations as they arise--not over a phone or hours later, but at the time and place of the situation. And to teach them diligently when they sit, when they walk, when they lie down, and when they rise up. That is the way it should be.

Mary Susan

6 Comments:

Blogger Hexdek16 said...

We certainly enjoy your posts and progress! Ones of mention that have recently inspired us on Fruit and cattle as we make plans for our future farm. I enjoyed seeing the garden layout last summer and the growth. We know of the commitment to which you speak, to say we do this for ourselves would be selfish at best, but we hope that which we accomplish will be a path for our children and others to follow. Keep on! Regards.

Wednesday, February 08, 2006 2:51:00 PM  
Blogger The Bradshaws said...

Thanks for the encouragement, Scott.

Mary Susan

Wednesday, February 08, 2006 9:28:00 PM  
Blogger Tom Scepaniak said...

Well, I sure do hope you post often because it encourages me a lot.There's been times in the past when many of the blogs were slowing down and I was posting pretty regular and I started to wonder if anyone even cared. It's always a "pick-me-up" when everyone contributes to this little community and I think we should all remember that.

Tom

Thursday, February 09, 2006 5:52:00 AM  
Blogger The Bradshaws said...

Thanks, Tom. And especially thank you for your posts--and their regularity. They are a fountain of wisdom and inspiration.

Mary Susan

Thursday, February 09, 2006 6:42:00 AM  
Blogger Christine said...

There are those of us who are even farther behind that you, and treasure any and all post from those who are following the same dream/struggle! All is a fountain of wisdom and inspiration.

Thursday, February 09, 2006 7:43:00 AM  
Blogger Emily said...

I admire your humility, but please keep sharing your knowledge! We are all at different stages in our journeys. As a beginner, the agrarian world is a vast wilderness to me, and I return time and time again to the blogs I read on a regular basis for ideas and inspiration. May the Lord provide for you as you strive to build that future for your children and grand-children.

Thursday, February 09, 2006 1:25:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home