Saturday, November 19, 2005

A New Puppy!

Keith and oldest child (15yo dd) have gone to Indiana today to pick up her puppy. They should be home in a couple of hours; I'll see if we can post a picture. Keith said the the owners are great (husband is an Assembly of God minister), as was the puppy's mother.

Three or so years ago, we promised dd that we'd get her a puppy if she proved herself dependable with one of our dogs that has a recurring ear problem. She did, and continues to. (She's an incredibly responsible person.) We said, however, that she'd have to wait for our sweet labrador to die, which we expected to happen fairly soon. Well, the lab hung on 'til this past February about 16 or so days shy of her 15th birthday. (She arrived a few months before dd.)

We'd have gladly gotten dd a puppy fairly quickly, assuming she wanted a lab, which are readily available and are among the absolute best dogs in the world, in my opinion. But dd had had time to investigate breeds and had settled on one that is way more expensive and way, way, way more difficult to find, but sounded good, even after her extensive research. We agreed to pay up to a certain amount; anything over, she'd have to pay. She scoured the classifieds for months, and finally found an ad for Gordons in October.

And so, she and Keith are on their way home with her as-yet-unnamed (unless she's been named in the last couple of hours) Gordon setter.

As far as I know, I've seen one Gordon setter in my life, a couple of years ago (almost). I didn't know what it was, but came home raving about it; very impressive dog. Soon after that, dd decided on a dog called a Gordon setter, showed me a picture of it, and I was excited to see that it was the breed I'd seen.

We're all looking forward to seeing the puppy, but I'm glad dd will be dealing with her these first few nights! Great real-life learning.

Mary Susan

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home