Sunday, October 16, 2005

First Time for Potatoes

We planted potatoes for the very first time this year. We had heard that it could be difficult. The soil has to be just right, and bugs are likely to eat them up before they produce. For those who did grow potatoes, the unanimous recommendation was Kennebec. Perhaps it is just common sense, but when trying something for the first time, it is usually best to not deviate too far from what your neighbors are doing successfully. Well, I am happy to report that this year's harvest was awesome. We have tried these potatoes prepared a number of ways and they seem to be a good, general-purpose potato. I have been most impressed with their flavor and firmness. Rarely do store-bought potatoes have the same hardness which, I suppose, corresponds to freshness.



Next year, we may try Yukon Gold - Mary Susan's personal favorite.

Keith

2 Comments:

Blogger JFC said...

Nice potatoes! Mine were not that big this year, but I didn't plant too many, and I really didn't know what I was doing, so hopefully they will get better as I become more proficient.

I saw your response to a KS MilkMaid post. Welcome to the ABC (Agrarian Blogging Community).

JFC

Tuesday, October 18, 2005 12:28:00 AM  
Blogger HomemakerAng said...

those are awesome for a first crop!
homemakerang

Monday, November 14, 2005 9:30:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home