Monday, January 15, 2007

A not-so-agrarian venture

My brother and I have assumed the operation of a favorite restaurant of mine. The Pick'n Parlor has been successfully operated by the building owners for several years and they have done a fantastic job of cultivating an enjoyable, family-friendly environment in which to dine and listen to some of the finest local musicians and bands. As you may guess, operating a restaurant every weekend can be a rather consuming task with little or no opportunity for escape. So for the next year, at least, my family, my brother and some good friends will be in the restaurant business.

It is difficult to put into words the culture that pervades a given setting. It is something intangible but very real. We use words like warm or cool to try to capture the cultural environment. This is true of a party, a family gathering, a church and it is very true of this restaurant. The culture of this restaurant is something that my family and I love. For the most part, it is warm, casual, friendly, comfortable, inviting, and joyful. People come there because they love the music - primarily bluegrass music. For me, those same words describe bluegrass when it is being played as it should. I realize in the bluegrass world there are those who strive for perfection, who are uptight and stressed, who on the leading "edge" and are trying to market a product to a sex-crazed, newer, bigger, better world. To me, when you do that, you have lost the heart and soul of bluegrass.

This will likely adversely affect my agrarian aspirations this year. The farm will continue, but the pace of adding new productivity will be slowed. The "to-do" list will continue to grow and few big items will be tackled. I will, however, be engaging in this weekly adventure with my family. My dear wife and children have amazed me with their industry and cheerful disposition. I have gained a renewed respect for the depth of my brother's knowledge of the restaurant business. And friends have come along side to pitch in, eager to see us succeed. Blessings abound.

So, if you're in the area, drop in on us. Check out the menu. It is constantly under revision. I hope to greatly simplify the menu and all the preparation required to bring it together. So far we are swamped on Friday nights and we can't seat all that desire to come. Saturdays are a little slower, but still brisk. Folks typically come early and stay for the evening. From a standard restaurant perspective, no "turnover" is bad business. But it is part of the culture and you already know how I feel about that.
Keith

3 Comments:

Blogger Emily said...

Sounds like lots of fun despite the hard work! Pardon my Yankee ignorance, but what in the world is Tennessee caviar? I would love to pop in for a veggie plate but it would be a long drive! Can't get that kind of food up here unless I cook it myself. May the Lord bless your new enterprise! :)

Monday, January 15, 2007 2:39:00 PM  
Blogger The Bradshaws said...

Tennessee caviar is what we call a spicy salsa-relish made with a black-eyed pea base. We serve it with freshly made seasoned corn tortilla chips as you are seated kind of like you might expect chips and salsa at a mexican restaurant.

Hey, what's a few miles between agrarian friends? You can always plan a big vacation and swing by. We'll be glad to host your family and you can put the chickens and guineas in our empty chicken yard. No guarantees on safety of the birds however.
Keith

Monday, January 15, 2007 3:25:00 PM  
Blogger Tom Scepaniak said...

Durn! I wish we were closer too! Although I highly doubt you'd want to put up 250 head of beef for a few days :)

Tuesday, January 16, 2007 5:12:00 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home